How to prevent bed bug bites while sleeping? By reaching the end of this article you will be able to identify what are the causes of bed bug bites while sleeping, and how to prevent bed bug bites while sleeping.
Environment and conditions where bed bugs can live and adapt, identification of bed bugs, and who's at risk of bed bug bites while sleeping.
The life cycle of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs, whose scientific name is (Cimex lectularius) are small oval, brownish insects that live in animal and human blood, they are tiny pests that can infest your living space.
Female bed bugs lay around 200 to 500 eggs during their life cycle. That's why a few bed bugs inside your home can lead to infestation and you will be at high risk of bed bug bites while sleeping.
Bed bugs' life cycle is from six to 24 Months. Bed bugs feed every three to 7 days.
There Are Several Ways To Prevent Bed Bug Bites While Sleeping
- Washing bed sheets by using water at high temperature for a period of 20 minutes and drying them at high temperature, so you can get rid of any bed bugs.
- Mattress vacuum on a regular basis and keep doing that always. Avoid storing any items under the bed, so you will reduce the chances of bed bugs.
- Wash your clothes with high-temperature water every time you are outside for a trip and dry them in direct sunlight to reduce the chances of bug spots.
- Using some natural oils like (lavender oil) in order to protect your skin, you can apply it on your skin before sleeping as a protective layer.
- Avoid red & dark clothes as they are more attractive to bed bugs and use white and bright yellow colors for sleeping clothes and bed sheets.
- Avoid scent candles as they attract the bed bugs.
- Try to sleep alone as bed bugs are attracted if two more people share the same bed as the warmest increases.
- Using antiseptic is another way to get rid of bed bugs.
- Clutter to be cut down in your home which will eliminate all hiding places of bed bugs.
- If you are traveling, you have to check the room and bed sheets to identify any dark spots.
- If you purchase used furniture, examine and check quickly, better to apply antiseptic over them before bringing your own home.
- Inspect any used clothes or other items before bringing your own home.
Bed Bug distributed countries
Bed bugs are located across the globe from North and South America to Africa, Asia, and Europe.
Bed bugs have appeared in developing countries. It has been spreading rapidly in parts of the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, and other parts of Europe.
Even five stars hotels and resorts bed bugs can be presented as it's not connected by the cleaning of the environment where they were found.
Mostly affected areas by bed bugs bites
Bed bugs are attracted to body heat and carbon dioxide, that is why the most common areas affected by bug bites are the head and neck, and bed bugs can bite on different body areas.
How To Prevent Bed Bug Bites While Sleeping
- The bed bug bites are not painful at first, but later on, it turns into itchy welts and does not have any red spots.
- Bed bug bites happen mostly at night while you are sleeping. And you will not feel that you have been bitten as bed bugs have a defense mechanism by injecting your body with an anesthetic while they are biting.
- These itchy welts can be treated by washing gently with soap and water, applying anti-itching products, and taking antihistamines drugs if required.
- You have to know that bed bugs are not carriers of disease from one person to another, only they cause itchy and rush to your body.
- They are not spreading any disease, they are an annoyance as their presence may cause itching and loss of sleep.
- Itching can lead to scratches which can sometimes increase the chance of secondary skin infection.
What are the different ways bed bugs can reach you
- Bed bugs don't fly, but they can quickly cover walls and floors.
- They can live in beds, furniture, or coaches and they are most active at night, so clean the furniture very well and put some time in direct sun to get rid of bed bugs, spots, or eggs.
- Bed bugs can enter your home thru mattresses or clothes, as their tiny bodies make it easy for them to hide in tiny spaces.
- You must be very careful after returning home and remove your clothes directly, washing them using high temperature and applying all precautions.
How To Prevent Bed Bug Bites While Sleeping
Bed bugs are active mainly at night time and usually bite people while sleeping.
They feed by piercing the skin and withdrawing blood, their feeding time is from three to 10 minutes, then crawl away.
Signs Which can Inform You That Bed Bug Bite You While Sleeping
- You can recognize that you have been bitten by bed bugs if you wake up with itchy areas you don't have before sleeping.
- If also you find stains on the sheets or pillows.
- If you find rusty spots of bed bugs. Also sweety a musty odor. You will also find reddish or rusty colored stains on your sleeping clothes.
- Bed bugs poop which can appear dark or reddish on the bed or nearby objects.
- Don't scratch the bed bug bites as scratching will lead to skin tears and infections.
- The itchy rash will disappear from your skin within one week after bites.
Who Is At Risk For Bed Bugs Bites
Everyone will be at risk of bed bug bites when visiting an infected area.
If you travel frequently and share beds with others, you will be at high risk of bed bug bites while sleeping and the spreading of bed bug infestation.
How To Prevent Bed Bug Bites While Sleeping Different Methods
There are ways for fast facts of eliminate bed bugs
- Bed bug infestation has recently become more common in countries like the United States of America.
- Infestations are hard to be controlled as they evade pesticides and are not easily seen.
- To get rid of the infestation, it may be necessary to call a professional company to help you.
- The key element to isolating the bed from bugs is encasement.
- You can cover the box springs and mattress in a fabric that traps the bugs inside and prevents introduction from outside.
Finally, if you take full restriction measurements and follow the procedures you will have a high chance of preventing bed bug bites while sleeping.
Read more about:
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
You must be logged in to post a comment.