The kennel cough home remedy helps your dog to get well faster. But first of all, you should know that the Kennel cough (also known as canine infectious tracheobronchitis) is infectious bronchitis that causes the trachea and bronchioles to be inflamed, resulting in dry cough.
Kennel cough is caused by many different viruses plus a specific type of bacteria called Bordetella.
So not only using antibiotics to prevent secondary infection and cough suppressants can be helpful for your pet, but also there are some natural remedies for kennel cough that help your pet to get well.
These home remedies for Kennel cough can fight viruses and bacteria as well.
- If your dog is affected by kennel cough, so it may have one or more of the following symptoms:
● A strong cough.
● The nose is runny.
● The dog can't eat well.
● The fever is low.
- The treatment of kennel cough will depend on the health of your dog and the severity of the kennel cough.
- Most dogs are mild cases of kennel cough so they need just supportive care such as kennel cough home remedy, rest, good nutrition, and hydration.
But in severe cases, the kennel cough can cause pneumonia so the dog will need hospitalization, intravenous fluids, some antibiotics, and oxygen therapy.
The kennel cough home remedy includes
- One of the most effective methods is a kennel cough home remedy, so keep your dog in an area that is well-humidified. It also can prevent his nose and eyes from drying out.
- A dog with a Kennel cough has irritation of the airway so moisture can be helpful as it relieves that irritation.
- You also should avoid using household cleaners, dust, and cigarette smoking as these things can cause the irritation to get worse and your dog's recovery will prolong and its health may get worse.
- It is a way as a kennel cough home remedy.
- If your dog comes to the bathroom while you take a shower, the steam that comes from the hot water will help his lungs to get more oxygen so he will be able to breathe well.
- Let your dog inhale the steam for about 30 minutes and repeat this every day.
3- Essential oils
- Essential oils are important as a kennel cough home remedy and it is also available everywhere. You can mix these oils with water vapor and spray them.
You can disperse them around the air and any place where your dog is lying so it works like a mini-humidifier and that will help your dog to breathe them easily.
- The essential oils which are popular for treating Kennel cough are:
4- Coconut oil
- It can be used as a kennel cough home remedy as it provides many benefits. It has medium-chain triglycerides which have many medicinal properties and can help the cough be suppressed.
- It also has antiviral properties that help viral infections to be neutralized in dogs and also for humans.
- You can give your dog a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed with food, or just plain. - Because coconut has a wonderful smell and pleasant taste so it will help your dog to restore its appetite immediately.
5- Raw honey
- The most important kennel cough home remedy is raw honey. It has a lot of antioxidants and enzymes which make it at the top of your Kennel cough home remedy list.
It also proves to have many benefits and also can make your dog's cough be suppressed.
- Raw honey is considered almost a complete food containing protein, iron, copper, and potassium. It also contains a lot of vitamins such as vitamins C, D, and E.
- Raw honey is a natural anti-inflammatory and can also help to fight viruses and bacteria.
- Raw honey also can be used for the nasal discharge caused by Kennel's cough.
- If the weight of your dog is 30-50 lbs, a dog can get ½-1teaspoon 3 or 4 times per day.
- Cinnamon can serve as a kennel cough home remedy. Cinnamon is considered a dietary supplement, and also can fight viruses.
- It helps dogs if they have high blood pressure and if your dog has heart problems, cinnamon can improve them.
- So you can sprinkle about a half-teaspoon on your dog's food. If your dog doesn't like the smell of cinnamon, add some water to your dog's food, then mix in the cinnamon.
- Aside from kennel cough, cinnamon can also be used to fight more different bacteria like E.Coli.
7- Herbal immune system enhancer
Herbal immune system enhancer is used as a kennel cough home remedy as it can stimulate your dog's immune system and it includes many things such as vitamins C and E, echinacea, olive leaf, astragalus which is a herb-raised in china and used to cure a kennel cough and strengthen immunity.
It also has anti-inflammatory properties and can heal tissues that get damaged.
- Garlic is great as a kennel cough home remedy. It is also a great addition to your dog food.
- You can peel some cloves then place them in a glass jar that is covered with a few good lugs of organic olive oil and infuse them for 24 hours. You can add a few drops to each meal and mix them with food.
9- Bone broth
- Bone broth can be used as a kennel cough home remedy.
- Cough makes your dog's throat so irritated and so your dog won't be able to drink water.
Adding a little chicken or beef broth will be useful as a kennel cough home remedy so make sure that your dog is always hydrated and drinks enough fluids.
- You can make ice cubes that are made of beef or chicken broth, your dog will eat them.
- You have good food choices also such as boiled chicken, boiled hamburger, or cooked rice. The food should not be cooked with fat.
10- Probiotic foods
There are many probiotic foods such as yogurt that are so good for your dog's nutrition and can help to fight bacteria.
It is also an immune booster so can be used as a kennel cough home remedy and improve your dog's immunity.
Rest is so important for the treatment of kennel cough. Keep your dog in a quiet area of the house and stay away from kids and other pets.
- It's helpful for owners to use a harness rather than a collar to walk with a dog with kennel cough, as the collar can cause the trachea to be so irritated which makes the kennel cough get worse.
- Please try to keep your dog away from other dogs. If you have other dogs you should make sure that they take their Bordetella and Parainfluenza vaccines.
- Providing Kennel cough home remedy and rest for your dog helps him to get better as soon as possible.
Finally, you can protect your dog from kennel cough by giving it the vaccine, it is usually given in two doses two to four apart. Then give your dog a booster dose every six months to a year.
Read more about: