Using a Green banana for diarrhea is an old method that is used constantly by most people as it contains pectin which is a fiber that absorbs from the intestines excess water and firms up the stool, and oligofructose which is helpful in nourishing the good gut bacteria which aid in nutrient absorption.
Definition of Diarrhea
When we talk about green banana for diarrhea, we should know more about this medical condition.
Diarrhea is known as a common problem in which stools are loose and watery, It may last for 1 or 2 days and go away on its own and if diarrhea lasts more than 2 days it may mean you have a serious problem.
Diarrhea is also known as a common condition, especially in childhood and many studies search for different cures for this condition even by medications or by natural means.
What causes diarrhea?
Before talking about green banana for diarrhea, we should talk about the cause of most diarrhea conditions that are generally not identified.
The most common cause of diarrhea is a virus that infects the bowel (“viral gastroenteritis”) and usually lasts a couple of days and is sometimes called “intestinal flu.
Other possible causes of diarrhea can include
- Bacterial infection
- Infections by other preformed toxins and organisms
- Eating foods that may upset the digestive system
- Intolerances to certain foods and allergies (Celiac disease or lactose intolerance)
- Some medications
- Radiation therapy
- Malabsorption or poor absorption of food
How is diarrhea treated?
In talking about green banana for diarrhea, in most cases, uncomplicated diarrhea can be treated at home, by using an over-the-counter product that would usually feel better very quickly.
However, over-the-counter medications may not always be the solution. Also using raw food or green banana for diarrhea proof is helpful.
If the diarrhea is caused by an infection or parasite, the patient will need to see a healthcare provider for treatment.
It is also a general rule not to use over-the-counter medications for diarrhea if he also has a fever or blood in his stool. In those cases, call the healthcare provider.
When diarrhea lasts for a long period of time or several weeks, the healthcare provider will base the treatment on the cause. This could involve different treatment options, including:
An antibiotic or other medication might be prescribed by the healthcare provider to treat an infection or parasite which causes diarrhea.
Medication for a specific condition
Diarrhea can be a sign of several other medical problems such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) Crohn’s disease as well as ulcerative colitis, microscopic colitis, or bacterial overgrowth. Once the cause of the diarrhea is known, diarrhea can be managed.
They are collections of good bacteria, probiotics are sometimes used to re-establish a healthy biome to combat diarrhea.
Introducing probiotics can be helpful in some cases and healthcare providers feel that it’s worth a try. Always talk to the healthcare provider before starting a probiotic or any kind of supplement.
The therapeutic effect of green bananas
Bananas are one of the most favorite fruits but people only ever eat ripe bananas and the more black spots the better.
But since discovered that green banana for diarrhea you should know more data about unripe green bananas:
- Is awesome for ridding the body of diarrhea and firming up stools
- Calms an irritable gut.
- Is a nutrient powerhouse, it is a rich source of vitamins like Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C; it is also high in minerals such as potassium, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese.
- Cooked green bananas are a real dish as it is a popular side dish in many Caribbean islands as used like potatoes i.e. as a side dish for a meat dish.
- Unripe bananas are not as sweet as ripe ones, when they are cooked, they have the texture and taste of potatoes and are actually very delicious.
Many clinical studies have been published on the therapeutic effect of green bananas, the most famous study of them was published in the Journal of Gastroenterology (Sept 2001).
There is a study of “Persistent diarrhea: dietary management with green banana or pectin in Bangladeshi children”, it was found that a rice-based diet with green banana or resistant starch is more effective and also important than a rice-alone diet in reducing diarrhea.
How to use a green banana for diarrhea?
The antidiarrheal effect of green banana for diarrhea has been attributed to its content of resistant starch.
Resistant starch cannot be digested by the body but it becomes a fertilizer for good gut bacteria, also sometimes referred to as our microbiome.
It is a fermentable fiber; a prebiotic that feeds good gut bacteria to promote a healthy microbiome.
Also resistant starch is not digested in the small intestine and is passed into the large bowel where it is fermented by bacteria into short-chain fatty acids which absorb excess fluid and make the stools more firmer.
Benefits of Green Bananas
- Green banana for diarrhea is managed in hospitalized children and also may be important to treat children at home which can significantly reduce amounts of stool, oral rehydration solution, intravenous fluid, and numbers of vomiting, as well as the duration of diarrhea too.
- A rice-based diet with green bananas is effective in managing diarrhea.
- Green banana is a rich source of vitamins like Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C and is also high in minerals such as potassium, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese.
- Green bananas don't cause an increase in blood sugar as ripe bananas do because they contain resistant starch, which acts like fiber.
Green bananas and resistant starch which are known as pectin are important in the dietary management of diarrhea in hospitalized children and may also be useful to treat children at home.
Because of the beneficial intestinal effects of dietary fibers, we make sure green banana for diarrhea is the most interesting information you would ever have.
Read more about: